24 January 2011

A Vacation for the Princess at Heart


The Ashford Castle. A medieval wonder that harkens back to the days of princes and princesses, of knights and court jesters. Who would object to stepping back in time to imagine what it was like to live like them? Not me, that’s for sure. When I was a little girl I remember building forts in my room and then later decking my treehouse out to look like a royal palace. I held high court and would invite only the most special guests to attend (boys with cooties were strictly prohibited). I loved watching movies like Robin Hood and pretended I was Maid Marion, waiting for my noble outlaw to arrive.

Now that I am an adult, I have mainly forgotten these child-like dreams but was once reminded of them again when I came across this gorgeous castle-resort in Ireland. Ireland’s Ashford Castle is a 350 private acre wonder, set amidst lush, moss-covered forests, resting on the banks of the Lough Corrib. Established in 1228 by the Anglo-Norman de Burgo family following their defeat of the O’Connors, the castle eventually became the estate of the Guinness family in the 1800s. In 1939 it was sold to a Noel Huggard, who then opened the estate as a hotel, which it has been ever since. It has been the set of a famous John Wayne movie, The Quiet Man, played host to famous guests such as John Lennon and King George V of England, as well as many other celebrities.

Lucky for me, I came across this castle while looking through Sceptre Tours’ independent vacations page. They have this awesome Ashford Castle Package that gives you one night at the castle as well as four nights throughout Ireland in different farmhouse B&Bs. I am excited to book my vacation soon! I urge you to check it out as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis